Stem Ginger Cookies
Preparation time: 15 mins
350g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
200g golden caster sugar
1 tbsp ground ginger
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
115g unsalted butter
90g golden syrup
1 large egg (beaten)
150g preserved stem ginger in syrup, drained and coarsely chopped.
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC / 325ºF / Gas 3. Line three baking sheets with greaseproof paper
2. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt, caster sugar,ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda and stir to combine.
3. Dice the butter and put it in a small saucepan with the syrup. Heat gently, stirring until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool until just warm.
4. Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients, then add the egg and two thirds of the stem ginger. Mix thoroughly, then using your hands bring the dough together.
5. Shape the dough into 20 large balls. Place them, spaced well apart on the baking sheets and gently flatten the balls.
6. Press a few pieces of the remaining stem ginger into the top of each of the cookies.
7. Bake for about 12-15 mins, until light golden in colour.
8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for one minute before transferring products onto a wire rack to cool completely.