Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Eating time: a few seconds
Difficultly level: easy
Makes: 18 large yummy cookies
250g plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
170g unsalted butter, melted
200g soft dark brown sugar
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
325g chocolate chips (white, milk or dark)
1. Preheat the oven to 170C / Gas Mark 3. Grease baking trays and/or line with baking parchment.
2. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, cream the melted butter, brown sugar and caster sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until the mixture is light and creamy.
4. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended then stir in the chocolate chips by hand, using a wooden spoon.
5. Drop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking trays in dollops of about 2 good tablespoons per cookie.
6. Space the cookies at least 8cm apart and bake for 15-17 mins in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted.
7. Cool on baking trays for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks where they should be left to cool down completely.
8. Or, if you really can’t wait, at least until they’ve cooled down enough to not burn your tongue.